It is always interesting to see people’s reactions when I tell them I work in fashion. Some are impressed (these are people who don’t know about the industry) and others are intrigued. But these days, I am actually quite embarrassed to be part of the fashion industry. It has been invaded by tacky celebrities and the discipline I studied, fashion design, is no longer a skill you need to learn. All you need to do is be in a movie, a band, or a stupid reality TV show and you too can be a designer.
In addition to that, some of the big names can also be a bit of an embarrassment. Now that we have the internet we get to hear a lot more silly quotes from fashion designers (making them, and the job sound a bit ridiculous) and everyone sees what the industry is doing, including some terrible catwalks looks which I have highlighted here. Here are my top 5 catwalk looks that make me embarrassed to work in fashion (in no particular order.)
1. Chanel Fall Winter 2010. I don’t know the exact price of this outfit, but I am guessing it is well into the thousands because Chanel doesn’t do price tags under four digits. And it is basically a FAKE fur yeti costume. It is one thing to dress like a yeti, and another to charge thousands for fake fur. I am mostly embarrassed that this outfit came from one of the most respected, talented designers in the industry. Karl, even you screw up sometimes.
2. Balmain Spring Summer 2009. You’ve heard me complain about Balmain many, many, many times before, but I had to bring this one up again. $2,000 ripped jeans are a frigging travesty. I am embarrassed to work in an indsutry that blatantly rips people off.
3. Walter Van Beirendonck Spring Summer 2012. Ummm… this is fashion? Another embarrassment for the fashion world.
4. House of Holland Fall Winter 2008. “Hi. I used to work at a teen magazine and came up with one good t-shirt idea, so I decided I was good enough to launch a full fashion collection. But then I realised I am not a designer, so I just hucked a bunch of tacky tartan onto the catwalk, asked my famous model friend Aggy to walk the runway, and suddenly I’m one of Britain’s fashion darlings. Oh yeah, I thought an eye patch and some stupid antlers would make my outfits look more cool.” The only thing NOT embarrassing about Henry Holland is that GQ magazine named him as one of Britain’s worst dressed men.
5. Prada Fall Winter 2008. I am trying to figure out what is most embarrassing here: that he is wearing a crop top, that it looks like he is wearing high waisted, high cut panties pulled up really high, that his pants are tucked into his boots, or that this is one of the most respected fashion brands in the entire world.
All images from Style.com except Walter Van Beirendonck, from ASVOF.
Thank you Alexandra for these splendid examples. Something us Aussies love to do is have a laugh and you have had me in stitches.